Monday, September 15, 2008

Back to Site

I'm leaving for site today, so this is my last post for a couple of weeks, inshallah. Just a few notes:

Here's Julie's blog for those of you who were interested. She's been in Peace Corps Philippines for about a month now.

I have a new mailing address for Atar:

Elise Szabo
Corps de la Paix
B.P. 24
Atar, Mauritania
West Africa

I should mention the title change. "Nasrani" is the Hassaniye equivalent of "Toubab". I only ever heard "toubab" in Rosso, even from the Moorish kids, and I don't get "nasrani" here nearly as much as I got "toubab" down there. Still, for authenticity's sake, I figured I go ahead and change it.

I'm showing my counterpart the GMC here in Atar today before I go back to site, which is why I ended up staying so long. My trips into town will usually only be for the weekend (Friday and Saturday). I had been wanting to show Rouqaya the GMC to give her a better idea of what I'm trying to do, and she was having some trouble working it into her schedule so this was the perfect opportunity. I'm hoping she'll also be able to meet with the regional official from the Condition Feminine (government ministry for women's promotion). If all goes according to plan, I'll have taken some huge steps towards getting real work done.

Hope everything is well in all your various corners of the world. I've gotten spoiled the last few days, being able to get in touch with everyone! Love and miss you lots.

No comments: