Monday, June 2, 2008

Freedom!

So I'm sitting on Andrew's porch, enjoying my first real day of NOT WORKING! I have to say, I could get used to this. Waking up at 10:30, strolling over to Whole Foods and/or Starbucks for breakfast, reading the paper in the sun...pretty much heaven.

It finally hit me while I was walking back from breakfast this morning that I'm leaving for staging two weeks from tomorrow. I'm starting to get really excited! Part of me has been making a concious effort not to romanticize what I'm about to do. I've been focusing on how hard this experience is going to be, and it's been keeping me from getting excited about it. Then I stopped working, and I've been meeting a lot of people lately who are returned volunteers or are thinking about joining up or know someone who has. And for some reason, walking back today, everything just came together and I was amazed and overjoyed that I'm going to be spending the next two years of my life doing something as cool as this! I'm not going to be sitting in a cubicle in some windowless office in southeast DC. I'm going to be in Africa!

No comments: